Sunday, April 22, 2012

Guess who turned 99?!?!?!

My great-grandma (dad's grandma and kid's great-great-grandma) turned 99 on Friday. She lives in a nursing home in Brighton. She has severe dementia, but was having a good day, so it was a lot of fun. She seemed really happy and I'm glad so many of us were able to come celebrate! 
The funniest thing that Hunter said was, "Great-great grandma turns 99, then 100, and then she'll be dead!" I told him not to tell her that and she could live longer, but it was pretty funny when he said that, like it was matter of fact! 
My dad on the left, great grandma, Kim and Kurt (Kurt is my dad's first cousin)
Baby Tyler, Connie, and Joe.
Nick and Hunter. We ate in the cafeteria area at her place, since she can't really be taken out. We had lasagna, mac and cheese, salad, etc...and cake! 
Tyler is Hunter/Jack's cousin...he's about 1.5 years old. 
My mom and sister
My Aunt Rhonda (my dad's sister) and her newest grandson, Blake. Tyler and Blake's mom and dad were at the Tiger's game, but their aunt Connie and Rhonda/Joe brought the kids. It's pretty cool that we have five generations, but my great-grandma's sons were not there :( Her son, my grandma Ron, lives in FL. We are hoping to fly down to see him in July for his 80th birthday. 
Great-Grandma with Hunter and I. Hunter was really good about talking to her and wishing her a happy birthday. 
Jack has no pants on...he spilled a whole cup of chocolate milk on them right when we got there, so we had to take them off for the rest of the evening. I guess even at this age bringing spare clothes would not be a bad idea! 
She's smiling and happy!!
My cousin Connie was entertaining the boys while I tried to rock baby Blake--he was pretty fussy! 
99th birthday cake...wow, I hope I live that long, although not sure I want to if my mind is not there. 
She couldn't really blow out the cake, so Hunter and Jack gladly offered to help :)
Helping great-great grandma blow out her candles!! 

I remember when I was a kid, she lived in FL and was in great shape. We used to play some type of rummy game with pennies and we always enjoyed seeing her. We'd go to FL in our family motor home to see my grandpa, his wife, and Marie. When she couldn't take care of herself anymore, we moved her up to MI so we could help take care of her. My mom is her primary caregiver (even though it's my dad's grandma)...I wish I could see her more, but it's hard to take the kids there b/c it's boring for them. And some days she just doesn't have a clue as to who I am or what is going on. It's kind of sad to see all the ladies there b/c I feel like they are waiting to die. I know they are well taken care of, but it's just not a great way to live :( At least she has a lot of family close and probably has more visitors than a lot of other residents. 
Happy 99th Birthday Great-Grandma!!!

No comments: