Tuesday, April 3, 2012

All dogs go to heaven

Our dog, Chopper, was our "practice baby". We loved him so much when we first brought him home...took tons of pictures, cuddled, threw him a birthday party, and treated him so well. Over the years, things have changed, especially for me. When we had kids, the dog took a backseat. Now he pretty much drives me insane. He's jealous and will stand over you (to exert his dominance) or get right in your face, or sit on you, etc. I really can't stand it and can't stand that Nick won't discipline him AT ALL. I still am civil to the dog, but I don't have much patience. Thankfully, Nick still loves the dog. They spoon in bed at night and they cuddle together more than Nick and I do. No joke. Literally there have been times I'm getting a back rub by Nick, the dog comes over, he stops rubbing my back and starts petting the dog. WTF.

Anyway, on to the real point of this post. My mom got a boxer 11 years ago. She had one when she first got married and she cried on her honeymoon b/c she missed her dog (I think she told me that). My dad was probably jealous of the dog and therefore, she never had another boxer, until Bailey came along. She LOVES this dog SO much. My mom would do anything for her dog. When Bailey's back legs became paralyzed about a year ago, she got the dog a fancy cart to ride around in, a wheelchair, a strap thing to hold her back end up with, etc. She put carpet runners down throughout her whole house and the driveway. She drove Bailey to the vet in Ann Arbor at least once a week for acupuncture. Only the best for Bailey. Nick used to joke before we were married that Bailey had a better life than him. Except for it really might be true, so it wasn't really even supposed to be a joke. Well, my mom and dad had to put Bailey to sleep yesterday. Her front legs weren't working well and it had just become too much. Accidents in the house, barely moving, hard on my mom, couldn't leave her alone, etc. It was also my grandpa's birthday yesterday (he passed in 2000), and he LOVED boxers, so the date was intentional to an extent. I am feeling heartbroken for my parents. I know how devastated my mom is. She was crying every day for weeks leading up to this and told me that yesterday was literally the worst day of her entire life. They will not be getting another dog...They do have partial custody of Emily's boxer, so that will help a little, but of course it's not the same. Please pray for my mom b/c she really is having a tough time...and I'm sure my dad is too, but he doesn't really show it. All 4 of us went over to my parent's on Saturday night to see Bailey one last time...it was really sad :(

In Grand Haven with my parents...they were staying on their boat. They would go for walks pulling Bailey in her cart. It looks like a pack and play on wheels! What a life!!
Well, I told my mom that Bailey was in a better place and I'm sure my grandpa would take good care of her. She gave Bailey the best life anyone could ever give a dog. Bailey went to work everyday with my mom, so she was very rarely left alone--and if she was, lights and the tv were left on for her...my sister does the same thing...crazy if you ask me, but whatever. I could go on a lot longer about how spoiled rotten Bailey was, but I won't. Anyway, mom and dad, I'm sorry that you are having to go through this and hope you have fun in FL.




No comments: