Monday, July 19, 2010

I can't believe it, but I do

Well, our nanny, Monica, emailed me this afternoon to tell me Hunter was sleeping in his bed. She said he cried for a bit saying "quiet time over" and then fell asleep. He didn't come out of his room once. I should have known this would happen for her. I'm thrilled, but very jealous...and just dumbfounded at the whole thing. Everyone says kids are better for the babysitter and it's so true with our child. Here are several examples.

We struggle to keep him in time out, but she tells him to go there and he sits quietly until she tells him he can get up. I came home Friday and he was sitting quietly like a good boy in time out b/c he'd been being naughty. I witnessed with my own eyes that he can sit there and behave. He is a devil for us when it comes to staying in time out. I had to put him there over 20 times once before he would stay. Nick still has never gotten him to stay there for two minutes.

Another example...It was funny b/c this morning she asked me if he ever uses the small potty (one we used for potty training) any more. I said yes, he insists on using it. She said he never uses it for her and insists on using the big one. I want him to use the big one and he won't. I pretty much make him sit on the big one when he poops so I don't have to clean out the training potty and he throws a complete fit. She said he loves the big one....Of course she is telling the truth, but Hunter is just acting so different for her. I was thinking about taking the potty away forcing him to use the big one and now I know I can b/c clearly he is just fine using it!

I was so stressed thinking she would want to quit on us after dealing with this new sleeping arrangement. Now I'm thinking I need to quadruple her pay and ask her to move in with us!! I'd even give up the master bedroom/bathroom/and my closet to have her there at bedtime so I didn't have to deal with him :)

Why do kids do this to their parents? I mean in a way it makes me frustrated, but happy for Monica of course. It makes me less stressed knowing he's good for her and she's not dealing with what we deal with. It also means there is hope...we have to be able to make it happen. I told her I was coming home early today to get some tips on how to raise my kid b/c she is doing a great job and we stink...haha. I am SO BLESSED and HAPPY to have her....It's been over two years and she has done an amazing job helping us. She is the one who potty trained him for us basically--haha.

Please say a prayer to give Nick and I patience...we need it. I just keep telling myself all parents go through this and it will be fine, but I am spoiled and like my sleep. We've had it so good for so long and I don't like changes like this that mess up my personal time and sleep.

No comments: