Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Grandma--AKA "Gigi"


My grandma is such a wonderful grandma and great-grandma to me and my kids. She and my grandpa (until he died in 2001) have always been a big part of our lives. They came to sporting events, spent holidays with us, vacationed with us, etc. I see her probably 2 or 3 times per month and she really loves seeing the kids. I know she loves me, but she really loves Hunter and Jack! I just love inviting her to do things with us b/c I know it makes her so happy to see the boys. Gigi (this has become her nickname since Hunter was born) is so thoughtful--she will call me just to tell me the moon looks amazing and I should take Hunter outside to show him. She has told me before that it's so important for her to take care of herself and live a long life so the kids can remember her. Anyway, she has belonged to Liberty Athletic Club in Ann Arbor for a long time and they wrote an article about her recently that I wanted to remember by posting on here. She is in amazing shape for her age! She always tells us she does it for her family and never wants us to be embarrassed about the way she looks (as if we would anyway, but it's nice that she cares).
Here is the wonderful article they wrote about her. The included a picture of her, but I couldn't figure out how to easily copy it. Besides I like the one above better!


MEMBER SPOTLIGHT April 2011 A portrait of elegance and style best describes Liberty member Lois McDonald. Eighty-two years young, Lois has graced the club, primarily in the mornings, for the past 19 years. Lois became a member of Liberty, following her husband’s heart attack, when her daughter bought the two of them a membership. After trying the club for a month, Lois explained, “My husband liked it, but I loved it!” While never involved in competitive sports, Lois has always exercised, to the point of watching exercise shows on television, as well as lifting cans of vegetables as free weights. “The main reason I exercise,” she shared, “is because I care how I look for my family.” In addition to helping Lois maintain her petite figure, Liberty has provided her with a place to rehabilitate and stay fit, following a cardiac arrest she experienced, two years ago this May. As a result, Lois continues to set her alarm at 7:30 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, to get to Liberty by 9 a.m. and leave by 10 a.m. This was a habit she acquired when the club had senior hours. “Now that senior hours have changed, it would be easy to stay in bed a little longer, but for me,” Lois said, “to come later would just mess up my day!” Lois enjoys Liberty because it’s peaceful, not crowded and “the people are so nice.” A weekly training session with Kate Lambright is also a highlight. “Kate understands how I feel and what I can do, yet she pushes me,” Lois described, “while still being considerate of my age.” When not working out at the club, Lois likes spending time with her family, watching sports and playing cards. As a mother, grandmother and great grandmother, she is fortunate to have all of her family live nearby, including four great grandsons, all under the age of three! “When I wake up, I’m glad to be here and get out of bed, because I realize there are others who cannot.” With that kind of appreciation for life, a commitment to consistent exercise habits, as well as a devotion to a loving family, Lois McDonald will continue to beautify the fitness floor at Liberty, for many years to come.


I am so proud of her!!! I have pictures of her in my office and people tell me all the time they can't believe she is my grandma. Also, Nick has a client who is practically in love with her and he's never met her. He saw a picture of her and asks Nick about her all the time.

No comments: