Friday, February 11, 2011

Bring your parents to school night

Last night at Hunter's school they had a "bring your parent to school" event. They only wanted one parent to come b/c the room gets too crowded, so I went with Hunter. It worked out well b/c he had gone to the U of M b-ball game the night before Nick, so I was happy to spend some one-on-one time with him. I have to admit, I was a little nervous b/c he was so disruptive when we came for his birthday celebration (but he'd only been in school for two weeks at that point). I was wrong...I was so thrilled with how grown up he was acting and how proud he was to show me his "work". I am happy with every dollar we've spent on this school after seeing him last night. He got to choose three "lessons" to show me and he chose: making bubbles, painting, and red rods.
He had to carry this big tray over to the water table, fill up a pitcher with water, pour soup in the bowl, and then use the mixer to make bubbles. I wanted to help him carry it and the teacher said "you don't need to help. he does this on his own all the time". He did such a good job and cleaned everything up perfectly like he's supposed to.

Then we moved on to painting...he put the smock on all by himself, clipped the paper, and got his paint out.
He would go to the sink to wash his brush off each time before switching colors.
It was so cute b/c this girl Sophia came up to him and said "Hunter, remember how I taught you that blue and yellow makes green?" He was like "I know!" They have this whole philosophy where the kindergartners in the class room are the leaders and help the pre-schoolers.
Here he had to get his rug out, unroll it, and then set up the rods in the right order from longest to shortest. He was being very careful to do it just right and not step on any of the other rugs that kids had out when he went back and forth to get the rods. I was so proud of him...he was just so serious and trying so hard to do it right. When he was done he said "Ok, now I have to put my work away and roll my mat up".
I just wish Nick could have been there too b/c it just made me see how different he is at school than at home...he was very well behaved and I can really see how he's learning to focus on things, learning confidence, and just wanting to do things right. Oh, and he's actually capable of picking up after himself...who would have thought?!?!?


1 comment:

Britta said...

That is so cool how independent he is becoming! It sounds like he's doing a great job at school!