Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Our 2 1/2 year old update




Hunter is 2 1/2. He is such a little boy now and I can't believe how fast these past two years have gone! I look at pictures of him when he was Jack's age and they look the exact same. Nick and I can't even tell the difference and now he's like a real person with opinions, attitudes, etc. If I had to describe his personality, I would say he is outgoing, independent, opinionated, funny, and sweet. He says "hi" to EVERYONE. We are famous at Target b/c not only are we there once a week, but several cashiers remember him b/c he will say hi to them 40 times while we're checking out and they yell "bye" ten more times until we are out of sight in the parking lot. Nick and I are not very shy, so it's no surprise and I suppose I'm happy that he's outgoing rather than super shy...I don't want people to walk all over him, but I of course don't want him to be a bully either.


Hunter has the best personality. He makes us laugh all the time with his silliness. Now that he is talking more, it's even better. He wasn't talking as much as we thought he should be for his age, but now it's just flowing out like crazy. He was saying a lot and understands everything, but we thought it should be a little more by now. Everyone said it would start one day and it finally has starting a few weeks ago. A friend has a blog and said she read somehwere that kids who are slightly delayed in speech are more intelligent...I'll just tell myself that! She is worried about her 18 month old though, not a 2 year old! Anyway, it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore and he copies everything we say--we have to watch our words carefully now.


I also can't believe he will be starting pre-school this fall. He is ready. Of course every parent thinks their kid is smart, but he knows his ABC's, numbers up to 20, colors, shapes, and more. We just got a puzzle with all the states and he knows several of those already. I think he will enjoy learning new things at school and being challenged. He goes to the nursery at church every week and I am in MOPS, so he goes to school at St. Luke's every other Thursday for 2.5 hours. It is a classrom like environment and he LOVES going and doesn't cry when I drop him off. Most kids cry and throw fits--he just says "Bye mommy!!" and runs off. The big decision is where to send him....catholic, montessori, or just a regular pre-school. Nick wants the cheapest. I want the best environment for him. I am pretty much sold on montessori. I know lots of parents who put their kids in montessori and think it's awesome. There just happens to be a Christian montessori five minutes from our house that I've heard wonderful things about. Nick and I are going on a tour and observing a classroom next week and I'm really excited. It's relatively small, diverse, and the teacher seemed really nice (I've already gone once by myself). I really love the montessori way of teaching and love that they try to foster a caring Christian environment on top of that. Now I just have to convince Nick that it's the best decision and worth paying for....


We are really looking forward to this summer with him. We are going to take swimming lessons and spend lots of time at the pool/park/lake. We are planning a trip up north around the 4th of July (I think). We have a very busy spring--it seems like we have things going on every weekend from now until the 4th of July. We have a trip planned to go to the zoo, a Tiger's game, and several other fun things.


For the most part he is an absolute joy. Of course he has his moments--yelling, tantrums, and typical two year old boy stuff. We are so blessed to have happy healthy kids who have family that loves them!

No comments: