Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My dear husband

Nick with his roasted vegetable dinner



I love how colorful it was!



Mommy and Baby Jack

Nick is a very helpful husband. He gets up in the night with Jack, changes poopy diapers, sometimes cooks, and helps quite a bit around the house when I make lists for him. I have to say I feel as though I have trained (sorry, couldn't think of a nicer word) him well. If you don't, they try to get away with everything. Considering I work almost full-time and have a bad back, I just can't do it all myself. Enough about that though. On Sunday he decided to make us dinner. He'd found a recipe for roasted vegetables and wanted to make it, so he bought the stuff and made it while Hunter and I were at Target. It was really yummy, but I learned that I don't like eggplant or fennell. Fennell tastes like licorice and maybe I'd like eggplant prepared differently, but I'm not sure. I give him an A+ for effort, but was disappointed that Hunter wouldn't even try it (not surprising though). Hunter likes raw vegetables, but that's about it.

On another note, here are two funny things about him. Well, two of many funny things. First, in a crisis situation he completely freezes. When I say "crisis" situation, I mean like Sunday night I was carrying Jack in the Baby Bjorn and went to pour Hunter some milk for dinner. I dropped the FULL gallon on the floor, but couldn't bend over to get it b/c I had Jack in front of me (see picture above). The milk is quickly pouring out onto the floor and I'm yelling to Nick "HURRY!!! COME PICK THIS UP!!!" He totally froze. Finally, after half the gallon was spilled he came to the rescue--he was only five feet away from it. I don't get it...I just laugh it off and make fun of him for being "slow" (that was not the word I actually used).
Another example is from a month or so ago. When someone rings the doorbell Chopper goes nuts. He charges the door, jumps up scratching the you know what out of our walls, and scares the pants off whoever is at the door. It's not good. It was after 8pm, so Hunter was in bed and a neighbor rang the bell. Chopper had not yet realized it was the actual doorbell and must have thought it came from the TV. I said, "Hurry and grab Chopper! I'll get the door." Again, he completely froze. I'm thinking in my head "hurry up before he charges, barks, and wakes up Hunter!" He just doesn't react quickly when needed. I laugh when I think about it, but I just hope no one breaks into our house b/c I'll have to be the one to grab the golf club from under the bed and beat up the robber b/c it would take Nick 10 minutes to figure out what was going on. And, yes, we do have a golf club by the bed.
The second funny thing is Nick's fear of mice...or any other rodent like animal for that matter. We have (had) a family living in our garage. I would jump every time I'd go out there and see one scamper away. He got some traps and set them. We've caught 4 so far, so I think the family is dead. I believe we have more in the attic, but he is too scared to go up there and set the traps, so for now they are still alive and well. I don't know if he's more scared of the mice or going into the attic in the dark period. I'll have to ask my dad to help this weekend when he comes over.
Oh, I won't even get in to how he decided to wash the traps, after removing the mice, in our everyday dish bowls that we eat out of. A future post will be about his lack of common sense at times and how mad I get. I need to start a list and this will be #1. I used some pretty choice words when I saw the traps soaking in the bowls and we'll leave it at that. #2 will be teaching Hunter to "pull his finger".

No comments: