Friday, September 9, 2011

Labor Day Weekend and some misc pictures--it's a long one!





Our Labor Day weekend was fun and not fun at the same time. Friday (now a week ago) after we got home from work, we went to Barton to swim with the kids. It was SUPER hot, so it was great to be able to have one last trip to the pool before it closed for the season. So sad...I wish the pools would stay open on nice days at least for a little while longer! Saturday morning we went to Rolling Hills water park. That was super fun and the kids had a great time! We went on big water slides, the lazy river, and just played. Jack was a little crabby, but I didn't know exactly why. To back track, Jack had a blister on his tongue that I'd noticed the day before. I thought he had just burned it or bit it. Well, Saturday morning it had gotten bigger and there was another one, so in the back of my mind I was a little concerned.


Taking a break at the water park to have a snack




Silly boy--showing me his cheez its.


Not a great picture, but you can see the larger of the two blisters.




After Rolling Hills we came home for naps. Jack woke up screaming after 45 minutes. I was worried about him b/c with the blisters and fussiness, it's just not him. That and we had plans with two families on Sunday and Monday, so I didn't want them to get something if Jack was contagious. During the U of M game on Saturday I ventured out to the walk-in clinic with Jack. Turns out he has that hand, foot, and mouth issue, but only in his mouth. Well, when it's only in your mouth it's called herpengina. Sounds like and std, huh? Nick LOVES to tell everyone what it's called...so immature! Anyway, he wasn't contagious anymore, but said to give him ibuprofen every 8 hours b/c the blisters are painful. Went back home to watch the end of the game...we ate dinner in the family room for the first time (and last for a while) ever. It was a treat b/c the game was on. The friends we hung out with Sunday said their boy got it at day care and it's very common. The dad actually got it too which is very rare--he said the blisters hurt so badly, so that explains Jack lack of sleeping and fussiness...poor guy! Sunday morning I took Jack to church and then we went to Costco as usual. I have been going alone to church with Jack, but now that Hunter starts church school we'll be going together as a family. It's just been a brief thing due to Hunter's loudness and our lack of energy to deal with him--it's not worth it when you can't hear a word b/c of him and then make people mad around you. Bad attitude I know, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. And for now, me taking Jack alone is what works for us. (please don't tell me your opinion about this) I love the time alone with Jack and enjoy him in church, but I am looking forward to us going together starting this weekend. As a side note, both kids were up by 6:15am Thursday through Sunday...not cool. It makes for a LONG day. After naps on Sunday we went to the lake with Mike, Jacque, and Michael (pictures in another post). We had a good time even with Jack being fussy. I love to hang out with them b/c Michael is a mini-Hunter so I don't feel so bad about his behavior. He did throw a ball and it hit Jacque in the face--I felt horrible and he sat in time out for a while. She is due to have another boy soon--poor them, just kidding. Monday (Labor Day) we went to the Toledo Zoo with Frank, Hillary, and Jackson (pictures to come). She also prego again and due with a baby girl in December. I can't wait to buy her some cute baby girl clothes!! We had a lot of fun at the zoo with them :) On the way home from the zoo, I started feeling sick. I came home and napped until the kids woke up and we went to my parents for dinner and to see Gigi. I just felt overall yucky. I threw up later that night--no fun. I felt yucky all week and finally feel better today. Wednesday Nick was home in bed all day saying the same thing. He never threw up, but just felt yucky. Jack threw up on Wednesday and seems a lot better now. I think we're all fine now, but it was a rough week!!




Other miscellaneous pics...




Hanging out eating strawberries at my parents on Labor Day. The weather sure ruined our plans for going to the lake!


This was Wednesday night...Nick and I both felt bad and we just tried to get the kids to sit still and watch a movie till bedtime. That sounds bad, but having both parents under the weather with two wild boys is NOT fun.
Trying to get them to watch Finding Nemo. This might have lasted all of ten minutes.




Totally unrelated pictures...


On a better note, Julie (our nanny) and Monica (our prior nanny) are good friends. We still love and miss Monica, but it's ok that she had to leave us to see if she wanted a job in corporate America before realizing she loved watching kids (she's still in school) and is now back to nannying--haha...Monica watches four kids now, so they meet up for playdates quite a bit. I think this little girl's name is Allison. Anyway, they belong to the same club as us, so it's a small world, and worked out well this summer that they could go to the pool together a lot. Here they are at Extreme Bounce.


Julie said this was hilarious that Jack was trying to kiss her--and I love how she is trying to get away from him-her daddy would be proud. We have seen them at the pool with their parents and I've run into Monica there...the kids are SO cute. They have three girls and a baby boy.


Julie said she was walking around lifting her shirt so Jack started copying her...I love that Julie and Monica can take the kids out together and do fun things!
Ok, this is totally unrelated too, but so funny to me. Bailey, my mom's dog, has her back legs paralyzed. My parents love this dog to death and will do anything for her. Now she has what looks to me like a pack and play on wheels. They pull her around in it in Grand Haven and get a lot of attention. I think it's so funny! Nick used to joke when we were dating how the dog has a better life than he ever had.
Julie drew this on the driveway and I just thought it was cute so I took a picture of it. I have no creative skills when it comes to this stuff, so I'm glad they are around her and hopefully she can teach them a few things!


No comments: