Friday, February 8, 2013

Good Week

Besides snow days and a three week long on and off again colds, it's been an ok week. It's been hard to scramble and find childcare when kids are sick or there is a snow day. Thankfully I have a great husband! I literally called him crying on Wednesday b/c Jack seemed so under the weather and I didn't want to send him to school, but I had a crazy day at work and our nanny couldn't help. He came home and relieved me until she could come. Then today they had a snow day, so I had to stay home until she could come over.

The good news...
1) Jack got a GREAT progress report from his speech therapy place. He has come SO far and is just doing great. Basically they said he's in the "typical" range and we could cut back on therapy--yay for many reasons!! We are going to keep him there once per week for another month or so and then be done. I'm so glad--less running around, evenings out with him, etc. Most importantly, he can communicate properly!! (Besides lots of whining lately which I'm trying to curb)

2) Hunter got a great report from his teachers at his conference. They said he's doing amazingly well. Academically he is thriving and LOVES school. Montessori philosophy strives to develop the love of learning and it's certainly working for Hunter. He is improving all the time behaviorally. One of his friends had left GLTW and went to public school for Kindergarten. Well, he's back. I talked to the parents b/c he's a lot like Hunter with his personality. They said he was totally bored and totally causing trouble in school. They just came back to GLTW this past week. That is my biggest fear with Hunter, so hearing that confirmed our decision to keep him there for now. I went last night for the info meeting on 1st grade (they call it lower elementary b/c the 1-3rd graders are in the same room. It was so interesting!! Scary, exciting, and really cool. I think he might be smarter than me when he's in 3rd grade. The hardest thing for me to conceptualize is they don't give grades. The students master skills before moving onto the next. They do have standards which are excellent and follow a different system than normal public schools. I saw the test scores and they are incredible. I am not bashing public schools, but this seems to be a good fit for us. Of course we want the best for him and love the emphasis on mastering skills (where most public school teachers say if you need extra help on subtraction and they are moving on to a new topic, that kid is screwed b/c with the ratio and lack of luxury of time, there is no option but to keep on pace!). I love that they also place an emphasis on grace and courtesy. This is so important--shaking hands, manners, looking people in the eye, respect, compassion, etc.

3) We are going on a double date with some friend tonight and super excited!!!

No comments: