Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Washington D.C. Trip

Nick's "reward" trip this year was in Washington DC (May 5-8th). It used to be in Hawaii for like 8 years. The first year he made it, it was going to be in Hawaii. Then with the market crashing, they cancelled the whole thing. The next year it was in Arizona at a spa...and the year after that. That was fun, but not kid-friendly. Then Disneyworld which was fun. Now here. Now the TOP TOP people (like over $1m producers) go to Hawaii and the next group is Nick's. The very top used to go to like Istanbul Turkey, France, etc. so Hawaii is probably a step down for them. I just wanted to go to Hawaii.
 I was so close to getting to go to Hawaii that I could smell it. Maybe for our 10 or 15 year anniversary? We'll see. Going on their dime is a lot more fun.
Anyway, we have a fun time just getting away and having some alone time. I slept in LATE. The day we left the kids woke us up at 5:10am. I slept on the plane. We were only up until 10pm that night and I slept till 11 am the next morning. That is NOT like me at all. I never am able to sleep in anymore. Nick came back from a class expecting me to be ready for lunch and when he walked in to me still sleeping...he basically yelled WTF at me!! haha. I actually woke up at 8am when he brought me breakfast, ate it in bed, watched GMA for five minutes, and fell back asleep. I didn't take many pictures, but here are some from our day of sightseeing. We met up with some friends for lunch on Sunday. They ended up coming out walking with us, which was really nice. Besides, without them there to help us get back to our subway line place, we would have been in big trouble. It was confusing. LPL and a wholesaler paid for three nice dinners, a few lunches, and breakfast. We didn't have to spend too much on food. We went shopping in Georgetown...I'm the only one who didn't get anything. I got Hunter a Northface coat for fall and Nick got a pair of shoes there too. I also discovered a store called Vineyard Vines. It's WAY preppy, but I love it. It's also way expensive. Nick should be happy that he was with me or I may have gone nuts, but I was too scared of him getting mad. I did get the kids a few things each though--I couldn't resist. I am sure we'll be back in DC again when our kids are old enough to learn about this stuff. 

Washington Monument. I made a paper mache of this in the 2nd grade. Or maybe it was 6th grade. Anyway, I just remember making it. 

 In front of the Monument. Isn't my husband mature? The funny part was our friends and Nick were giggling and I didn't even know why. I must have been oblivious. Or it was those two bloody mary's I had with lunch.  
 The WWII Memorial is somewhat new....it was really pretty and neat. 
 The fountain of the WWII Memorial. 

 At the bottom of the Lincoln Monument...the pond was covered for construction :-(
 Joe & Julie live in Baltimore and came to meet up with us. Nick and Joe lived together at U of M. Joe met Julie in Baltimore. They got married last August and we had a great time in Baltimore for their wedding. 

 In front of Lincoln Monument. 

 Here I was standing at the top of the Lincoln Monument steps. Too bad it was cloudy and the construction and cover on pond. 
 I think this was part of the Vietnam War Memorial (that or Korea). On the wall of the Vietnam Memorial they have thousands of names engraved. People walk by in silence as a tradition/respect or those we've lost. It is pretty emotional seeing all those names and knowing so many people, so young, gave their lives for our freedom. It's truly amazing! 

Well, hopefully I can get up some neat Mother's Day pictures before too long!! 






No comments: